Intellectual property law
Intellectual property law provides protection for those individuals and businesses that have created an original piece of work, product or system. It allows intellectual property holders to benefit by licensing the right to use the intellectual property for a fee. In addition, the law allows the owners of intellectual property to sue if their rights are infringed.
An intellectual property lawyer or solicitor can assist their client with all aspects of intellectual property law.
The main types of intellectual property are:
- Trademarks – A trademark is essentially a tool used by businesses to create brand recognition and goodwill towards their products or services. It is a mark, usually a symbol, picture or word, and can be protected by registration or through use
- Copyright – In order to be protected by copyright, a ‘work’ must be ‘original’. Work includes art, literature, computer programs, music and dramatic works. In addition, it can extend to logos and product packaging. The owner of a copyrighted work has the right to prevent others from using, copying, broadcasting or distributing their work without permission
- Patents – Anyone who invents a new machine, product or manufacturing process can patent their invention. A patent is an exclusive right to develop, manufacture, sell and use the invention for a limited period of time. A patent can be sold and licenced
- Designs – certain kinds of design can protected by registration. In order to be registrable the design must be new, have individual characteristics and some aesthetic appeal. The characteristics can result from features such as lines, shapes, colour, texture and materials
How we can help
Intellectual property is often described as a business’s most valuable asset. Therefore it is important to obtain legal advice on how to register and protect it effectively. In addition, an intellectual property lawyer or solicitor will be able to deal with intellectual property infringements.
Contact Law is an established legal brokerage company, helping you find the right intellectual property law lawyer or solicitor in Ireland. Whatever your situation, call us on 1800 937 974 or fill in the web-form above and let our dedicated case handlers match you to the best property law solicitor for your needs.
There is no charge to you for using the Contact Law service. Our telephone advisors have excellent knowledge of the legal process and can recommend the best course of action and ensure you talk quickly to the right solicitor for your needs.
Top quality solicitors
By using our service we will get a specialist solicitor to call you meaning you get the expert advice you need quickly and easily. Our solicitors can assist you with legal issues in any area of law in any part of the country. All Contact Law firms also have a service level guarantee and many have Law Society of Ireland accreditations in their area of expertise.
- The importance of intellectual property for businesses
- Assignment and licensing of copyright
- Copyright and the internet
- Intellectual Property Law Firms
- Intellectual property disputes
- Intellectual property lawyers
- Registering a trademark
- Software licensing laws
- Trade marks
- Trademark Infringement